Feb 22, 2011

Advice for first-year Students

So, with my first year of school at Brock more than half way done, I figured I would write out some things that I wish I knew when I started going to Brock, and that I think other first years should know. Although I am having an absolutely amazing time at Brock now, I can't help but think that learning the following things a bit earlier than I did would've made the first few months alot better:



1) Join Clubs
At things like Smart Start or campus tours, the people always tell you about how many friends you will make simply through classes. However, for people with less than great social skills, it's usually not that easy to go up to random people in your class and talk to them before lecture, and it's really challenging to make close friends in a first-year class with a couple hundred students. Now, my point here is not simply to say that making friends in class is difficult... instead I want to stress the importance of joining clubs. I made hardly any friends during the beginning of my time at Brock, mainly because I had few events to meet them at. However, upon joining just two clubs (Creative Writing and Brock off Campus), I have already met a whole wack of interesting people. Now that I'm branching out into more clubs such as Brock radio, I'm meeting even more friends. So, when you go to Orientation week and see all those club booths, sign up for a few that look interesting (and make sure to actually go to the meetings... I signed up for some first term then just didn't go), and you'll find it much easier to meet people.

2) Do not 'save' all of your 2nd term assignments for reading week.

At first, I though this was a great idea... you get a whole week off, so why not just leave off all of your essay writing until then, and then devote the entire week completely to essay writing? Well, it seems good in theory, as you'll be putting the same amount of time into writing then, but without the stress of classes... but then every single one of your friends who moved away to go to school will be back home. You know have a bunch of friends you haven't seen in forever, as well as a bunch of people going out and celebrating the break all week, while you can't enjoy any of the reading week activities because of your workload you gave yourself... not a good idea. That's not to say work like crazy so you can spend the whole reading week having fun, but at least do some work before reading week starts so you can spend at least a good part of it having fun.

3) Find your classrooms before classes start

And I don't just mean on a map... actually go to every room listed on your schedule the day before class. You would be surprised how easy it is to get lost in a university, and it sucks to be late for class because you couldn't find it. This goes double for Brock students with a class in Mackenzie Chown.

4) Propose a Study Group

This is another easy way to meet people. If you have a big exam coming up, why not ask a few people in your seminar if they want to start a study group. This gives you a good reason to talk to them, and studying in a group is actually a really great way to do well on a test and make studying enjoyable.

5) Do NOT buy textbooks until you need them.

I cannot be more serious about this one. I bought two 40 dollar textbooks for a classics class, and we only actually needed one. If I had waited, I could've saved 40 bucks when I found out that we were not expected to buy both texts. Now, I'm not saying do not buy textbooks, I'm just saying wait to buy them until the prof assigns you a reading from them. Could save you a ton of money.

Anyway, those are the main things. I'd also like to say "go to lecture" and "do your readings"... I always assumed these were a given, and have therefore have no stories about neglecting them, but apparently alot of people don't think you have to do these things, so I will tell you: you really do.
Also, if you can afford it, I would strongly reccommend that you live on campus for at least one year. I didn't, and I didn't think I would regret it, but I really, really do regret it, and wish that I had (I am applying for it next year though, so here's hoping). However, if you don't have the finances to do so, I understand, and thus will not press it.


Overall, though, just make sure to have fun, be positive and try as many new things as possible, you'll be surprised what university can teach you about yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment