Jan 3, 2011

How I met my band

So, I was out with a few friends the other day (two of whom are in my band, and one of whom is dating the singer), and the topic of "my first time meeting the band" came up... a topic which always leads to a very entertaining conversation. Our friend Francine (the singer's girlfriend) then suggested that I should write about it, and I figured "hey, why not?"

So, to start off, I should mention that I first came in contact with the band through the online classified site, Kijiji. Being the loser that I am, I decided to advertise that I was looking for a band to join, and, unexpectedly, I actually got a reply from a guy looking for a new saxophone player, who invited me to come see the band play a garage gig at his house. Now, a guy named Kirk, whom I've never met asking me to come meet him in his garage in Queenston seemed a bit risky, so I asked my friend Ken (whose alot more intimidating than I am) to come along with me, so he could fight off any potential ill-wishers.
So, we got to Queenston, and much to my delight, there was an actual gig, with actual people attending it, and none of them seemed like terrifying criminals. The music was pretty decent, and it seemed pretty hopeful... they even had a saxophone player already, so I knew it could fit into the band. After the show, I had a brief interview-type thingy with Kirk, and everything seemed pretty good (I know, doesn't really seem like too interesting a story, but I promise it gets odd).

Anyway, the oddness of the night began with Francine (who is now a super good friend, so it's all good) stumbled in to the room with a half-empty bottle of wine in her hand. In the middle of the interview, Kirk turned to her and yelled "I said you can't come back inside until you've finished that wine, Francine" (although his grammar was probably alot worse... this is Kirk Thomas) at which point she stumbled back outside, and my awkward meter began to rise. This continued through the rest of the night, with Francine's continued attempts at entering the house with an unfinished bottle of vino, only to be shoved back out by Kirk.

At one point after the interview (they were having a party-type thing, so me and Ken hung out there for a bit), I struck up a conversation with Francine. This basically consisted of me telling Francine that I was the guy Kirk found on Kijiji, and Francine informing me that Kirk used Kijiji for everything, including finding girls for threesomes. Due to her somewhat drunken state, I felt the need to clarify that I was there to play saxophone, rather than for sex. After Kirk's girlfriend explained to me how he searched Kijiji for girls with whom they could have threesomes, my awkward meter pretty much maxed out, and I went upstairs to talk to the rest of the guys.

Well, I planned on talking to the rest of the band, but I found out that the bass player had passed out right after the gig. There were comments about him sleeping with several of Kirk's family members being told (which I now know is an inside joke, but it was quite weird at the time), so I ended up going to talk to the guitar player and drummer instead. When I walked into the room, they were telling the story of how Dan (the drummer) had either tried to kill himself in his sleep, or slept in a haunted hotel room (that's their story, so I won't detail it here). I then began to converse with Dan: we got into a pretty interesting conversation before he fell asleep in the middle of my sentence, effectively causing me to talk to a guy who was passed out for a few seconds before I noticed. I now wondered if this was one of those situations where I think everyone else is crazy, but really I'm the crazy one, considering I was talking to a sleeping guy (luckilly Shutter Island hadn't come out yet, or I might have freaked).

Anyway, at this point, Ken wanted to go home (I'm not sure what he experienced that night, as we were apart for quite a while, and I'm honestly a little scared to ask), so I left after setting up a date to attend a practise. Long story short, I am now a member of the Rucksack Revolution, and things have gone relatively un-weird, but I will always remember that first experience, and take from it the lesson that first impressions aren't always right, as I am good friends with everyone from that night now. I also learned that Francine cannot enter a house until she has finished a bottle of wine. Kind of like a vampire, but she needs booze instead of an invitation. Also, I need to work on my similies.

So until next time, I hope your day is as good as the best good thing that there is.



No comments:

Post a Comment